Friday, March 20, 2009

DASLU: LUXURY, CONSUMPTION AND ETHICS

After being introduced to this utopia of luxury consumerism, I immediately felt as though I had been let in on a secret world. This concept excited me I wanted to go there and see this for myself, I felt as though being there was the pinnacle of wealth. Then this intrigue subsided to a wave of guilt and questioning. 

I was in wonder at how this shopping utopia had grown from such a tiny boutique into a private village tailored for the elite. I find this topic interesting not because of the glamour it holds for those able to enter this club, but because of how an idea that was marketed well has taken off to become what it is today. I think I am excited about the concept of Daslu existing with a phenomenal amount of wealth, without the government being able to control it.

This topic raises massive ethical issues for me. It’s hard to appreciate Daslu when the people who are members of this society are tailoring their existence to be completely ignorant of the poverty that is literally next-door. There is even an option to arrive to their shopping experience by air to avoid having to be near the reality on the ground. It’s not the fact that Daslu exists that I find hard to deal with, it’s the complete oblivious nature that the fashionista’s and socialites have to the state of the ‘outside’.

No comments:

Post a Comment